Pages

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Day #23 Nano - Its The Final Countdown!

I can see the end, and I've slowed my pace to an easy casual walk with a smug swagger to it. I only did about 1600 words on Day #21 and about 2700 yesterday, so that leaves me just under 2000 words to do for today to cross the 50k finish line.

Woo hoo!!!

I've written the climax of my book and now I'm just letting it down gently. I didn't plan out the entire ending so I'm just winging it, which is no prob.

I'm probably going to insert an extra scene near the beginning of the book because it would seem a bit stupid for my heroine to be attacked and then not go and report it to the police. So I thought I'd make something up to cover that. I know that if I was reading my book from a readers point of view it would drive me nuts that she didn't check the police report or newspapers to try to find her killer.

I'm not really bothered if I dont finish it today. I'm pretty tired from staying up late with a tummy ache. I've got a week to finish it, but I can feel that this is exactly what I always do. I always work work work and work and then when I get to one step from finishing I tend to slow down to a crawl or never finish. Perhaps I'm afraid to have nothing to look forward to or aim for. Stupid really, since I've got loads of editing to do etc.

The annoying thing about writing on my Alphasmart 3000 (fantastic little tool!!) is that its the American version and so the @ key and the " key are reversed. So when I transfer my writing to my laptop I get dialogue that looks like this -


@Hi, dickhead. How are you?@ asked Jim-Bob Nobrain

@Yeah, not too bad. I'm pretty stupid though.@ replied Hotpants Thickasshit

@Oh really? Why is that?@

@I've fired my editor during November and now all my typing is full of stupid symbols"@

@Oh, I see.@ said Jim-Bob, @You really are a dumbass aren't you?@

@Oh yes!@ nodded Hotpants.



But I'm a secretary, so fixing the above kinda stuff should be a breeze. Its just going to be time consuming and annoying. I suppose I could just 'find' and 'replace'. That would make sense. Duh!

Then, the only other thing I've got left to do is actually name my damn characters! I cant believe I've written the whole damn book and haven't been able to come up with some decent names. I've named four of my heroine's friends/colleagues but haven't yet named my heroine. I'm thinking an 'E' name of some sort. Not sure why. Perhaps an 'A' name. I like girl's names to start with a vowel.
I also need my heroine's soon-to-be lover's name. I've used 'James' as a working name, and 'Ayla' as a working name for my heroine, but I just dont like them. I also need to name my baddie. And my heroine's Nan. And her landlord. And her boss. And the old woman whose dead husband gives 'Ayla' advice (I named him Scatman).

Decisions decisions. I'll have to go check out some name generators or something.

Well, best get back to enjoying my lunchtime. I've got around 1000-1300 words done today already.. only a few hundred more. I just dont want to rush it. Hehehe. I want to savour these last moments. Although the way the story is unfolding the ending of the book will be about another 3000-4000 words so even when I cross the finish line the story hasn't actually resolved itself.

No comments: