Pages

Thursday, December 07, 2006

What's In A Name?

So, my name on my birth certificate is Kathryn. I grew up being called Katie, and only occasionally would be called Kathryn. Really only when I was naughty. Its funny how parents lengthen your name when you've been bad. When they add in your middle name you really know you're in trouble.

But anyway, so now that I'm an old bitch I'm going by the name Kate.

To continue on with my Christmas card rant.. I received a card yesterday that I have no intention of returning in kind. The dickheads spelled my name as 'Katy'

WTF???????????

I have never in my life ever seen this kind of spelling for 'Katie'. Who in their right mind would spell their name like that??

I can understand people f*cking up the spelling for 'Kathryn'. If people haven't replaced the 'K' with a 'C' then they've put 'erine' on the end. Although it still pisses me off, I can actually understand people misspelling it. Although, anyone who knows me would know NOT to ever spell a word wrong in my presence, much less my name.

'Kate' is pretty easy to get right, thank god (although I did know someone in school who insisted her name was 'Caitte'. Bloody stuck up bitch. How stupid eh!).

At my wedding the vicar dude used Kathryn, Katie and Kate throughout the ceremony, thereby confusing ALL of my friends and relatives even further. I mean, really, I'd known the vicar dude for 6 months and had been attending his Sunday rants and saying Hi to him all that time, so I was pretty peeved that he was too stupid to follow my directions and use my full name - Kathryn.

So anyway, I've filed away that Christmas card with the incorrect spelling and will never write back to them (they're from Martin's side of the family anyway), although if I do I just may forget how to spell Sarah. I think 'Cerrar' would be a lovely adaptation to the spelling, methinks.

A friend of mine pointed out using e-cards instead of wasting paper with real cards. At first I thought, 'yeah, good idea'. But then again, we get enough junk mail in our inboxes as it is, we dont need another singing, dancing, fit-inducing, annoying little note emailed to us. I think I'll pass. Then again, there is the choice of just pressing that beautiful button 'delete' at any point.

I hope to god I dont get any e-cards. My computer is slow enough! I'm quite happy to receive normal Christmas cards though, if people want to bother (and I like getting mail), but the chances of me responding in kind is so close to zero that if I asked everyone who gives me a card this year to hold their breath then I'd have absolutely no one left in my 'friends & family' circle. Hmm.. could be a nice way to extricate myself out of the lives of those annoying and hideous 'latcheronerers' (I know that isn't a word, but I dont care. Some moron made up the word 'onomatopoeia' at some point in history so I'm going to make up words whenever I feel like it. Geez I'm getting quite bitter aren't I. And I'm not even 30!)

In closing - my name is KATE!

No comments: