Pages

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Happy Birthday/Christmas, For The Next Ten Years!

What the hell kind of family have I married in to???

Martin's Aunts have sent Martin's parents their birthday cards already. Now, his Dad's birthday is next week, and his Mum's is early January. So, they've sent the cards early, but not too early. Probably just about right, I would say.

BUT,

They have also sent them their birthday cards for NEXT year as well!! WTF????

I think its wise to send birthday cards up to two weeks early, but up to a year early?? No way man! What kind of lazy dumb-ass moron would do such a thing?!?! If they're going to send birthday cards one year in advance, why not just stockpile them and send ten years worth in one go. Then hopefully if the person drops dead before the ten years runs out then you'll never have to send a card again. Bingo bango!

I mean, I thought my Mother-In-Law was a bit odd - giving us FIFTEEN separate wedding cards (all from her!), and at least FIVE birthday cards each. But at least she gave them around the time of the occasion and not months early.

I rarely give out cards. If I do, I usually hand make them and only give out ONE per person. I dont see the point in sending out umteen million each. It kind of ruins the specialty of it.

Now that I'm being bombarded by cards all the time, and hassled to send cards I think I'm going to bow out of the whole thing altogether.

I mean, Martin's Aunts complained that we didn't thank them specifically for the gift they gave us at the wedding. Well, sorry, but I thought a card saying 'Thank You' tends to cover it all. So I had to send them another one (and I had to try really hard to hide the sarcasm!!).

I've had enough. We've already spent £20 pounds on stupid Christmas cards this year. We had to get Martin's parents an ultra-huge card coz anything smaller than the size of a house would be an insult. I'd be surprised if she didn't complain that we were sending only one.

Its all madness and this whole Christmas thing is totally f*cked. There's nothing special in it anymore. When people turn up their nose at a hand made card (which took ages to make and had lots of thought put into it) then its clear that things have gotten out of hand and everything has turned commercial.

Its all 'gimme gimme gimme'.

I hate it.

Everyone keeps asking me what I want them to buy me for Christmas. 'A world without Christmas' is what I answer, but no one sees the joke in it. No one realises that the whole 'have to buy people stuff' has turned into a free-for-all spending frenzy that has lost the real meaning behind it.

So, if anyone turns their nose up at the little gifts and thoughful things I give out this Christmas (selectively and sparingly) then I'm totally opting out next year. After this year I'm definitely stopping the 'cards' thing, and I dont give a sh*t who gets insulted.

Christmas was not invented as an excuse to get as much useless stuff out of people as possible.

Its about eating turkey and sprouts and farting all night long - now thats what I'm looking forward to! Hehehe.

1 comment:

Liz Dwyer said...

That is hilarious that they sent you fifteen wedding cards...but also a tad confusing. Are you supposed to open one card per year? Is this your mother-in-law's way of saying she thinks you'll only be married for a fifteen years? My parents and mother in law don't send cards ever so I have the exact opposite of your experience.

I agree with you about Christmas. It's so out of control. I see people buying stuff and they aren't even sure the recipient wants or will like the gift. It's become just about buying something, anything.