Pages

Friday, December 15, 2006

A New Challenge

I got an email the other day (I'm not sure how the person got my address or what I signed up to in order to receive this email), and it looks like it could be a great new challenge.

The email was advertising a writing competition. It looks like it could be a good thing, but the only problem is the submitted novel has to be complete at no less than 90,000 words.

My novel, Fleeting Life, is roughly completed at almost 52,000. The competition deadline is the end of January.

Now, I know I can do this. 40,000 words in 6 weeks. Easy peasy! I wrote the whole 52,000 in roughly 3 weeks for Nanowrimo, so I definitely know I can do it.

So whats the problem?

I dont know. I feel a lingering 'but'.. but dont know what it is. Perhaps its just coz I feel my story is a bit lame and bland. Although, having said that I'm quite aware that it needs a big overhaul and have a few things added in and touched up, but .. I dunno. Perhaps I'm just doubting myself.
I think I'm being the obstacle that I always thought was an object outside of myself.

I'm at least going to use this competition as a great deadline to get my novel fully complete and needing not one more word added to it! I may start next week, or wait until Christmas. Not sure.

I was considering sending in a hook to Miss Snark's Crapometer but I cant think of 250 decent words to describe my book in its current state.


Girl dies. She wanders around for a bit and wonders what to do with herself. She decides to find her killer and get revenge. While trying to find him she falls in love with some bloke. With some pathetic detective work she finds her killer, but stuffs up and her new lover bites the dust. Twist. New Hope. End.



Needs a bit more work to it I think.

I think I'm just in a dismal state at the moment. I'm so tired I'm almost falling alseep as I type this. I'm looking forward to a weekend of peace and relaxation. Perhaps some gift wrapping.. thats a nice therapeutic activity to do.

And no writing! (for a few days)

4 comments:

The Moon Topples said...

I like the part where she "falls in love with some bloke."

That or the pathetic detective work.

I link you now.

Wanderin' Jane said...

I been reading over the blog and wow man, you are gettin ANGRY lately huh. Ah well Christmas will be over soon then there will be no more running around and card giving and such.
Talk to you soon

Kate said...

Yeah, Cook, you know me. Always prone to anger before anything else. Must be the Aries in me! Hehe.

Kate said...

Thanks, Mr Topples...

There's a lot more in my book thats laughable, believe me! It needs a hell of a lotta work!

Ta for the link!