Pages

Monday, May 21, 2007

Writing

I just finished reading 'How to Write A Blockbuster' by Helen Corner and Lee Weatherly, and I must say I'm glad that I did. It has some very useful information in the back, including other books to read and contact lists, but the most useful part for me was the section on writing in a passive voice.

I never realised that I always fell into the trap of 'telling' rather than 'showing'. Its when the words 'was' or 'were' are used that the writing takes a passive turn.

I'm so annoyed with myself. I can't believe I have been so dumb and have not even realised it. Even now I'm deleting bits of this post that I'm writing coz I'm slipping into that past tense way of writing where 'I was' doing something etc.

The whole idea is to 'show, dont tell', and the examples listed in the book illustrated how much better the 'showing' paragraph read compared to the passive paragraph.

I'm such a dick.

A flaccid dick, at that.

Well... it can only be up from here.. hehehe..

1 comment:

Marie said...

Yeah, it's a great book.

I used to tell a lot when I first started writing. I think we all do. Having said that, I've read many books that tell, and these are books by classic writers. I suppose it was different in those days.