Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Procrastination

I've been fiddling with my other blog, which used to have an exerpt of my Nanowrimo novel posted on it.

I've now given it a makeover to make it look like my Particle Empire website which hosts my short stories and other little diddlies. Whatever a diddly may be.

I really should be writing this short story for the competition I entered.

The wordcount is nothing like I thought it would be. They really shouldn't call it a challenge unless the word count is going to be punishing.

Its only 1200.

But therein lies the difficulty. To craft a short story in so few words. To create complete and satisfying characters. To develop the plot within such constraints. I'm not sure if I can do it.

But I really should stop messing with my blog and start.

I just cant seem to think anything interesting up.

The theme is FALLING

Now, that can mean anything. Falling from a tree, Falling in love, Falling from grace, Falling as some wierd twisted idea revolving around autumn... or whatever. Falling onto something, out of something, into, around, up, down, and out. I dunno. I just know that there isn't a fizzle going on in my head.

The best thing to do is to make the short story fit in with my Cloud People book. That way I'm not only writing something fresh and new, it also ties in as background info for my novel.

Very good idea.

Now. To choose a plot.

And characters.

I should easily be able to make the theme work. The 'world' in my Cloud People book is suspended in the clouds by the magicians, high above the burning earth. Someone could easily fall over the edge.

Perhaps my main character could be falling already and the story relates his thoughts and backstory. It could end with his body splattering down on sharp and jagged rocks covered in molten lava that fizzles through his skin as though it was butter melting on a hotplate. His guts could spill out and burst as the contents boil and froth. His head and eyeballs could explode like eggs in a microwave and his genitals could drop off like a leper having a bad day....

Ooops.. I'm sorry. My mind wandered there. Hmm.. a bit grisly. Perhaps I should think happy thoughts.

Time to log off here. I might jump on the treadmill to kickstart my imagination.

No comments: