Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Dragon Fruit


I made an incredible delightful discovery while at my local Tesco store last weekend.

I spotted an odd looking fruit.

DRAGON FRUIT

I'd never seen one before, and I'm always keen to try new things, so I bought one. Thanks to Tesco there were a few little diagrams illustrating how one would go about eating this fruit and to my absolute delight all that was needed was to cut it open and scoop out the insides with a spoon.

So, £2 later, I was at home with my odd looking pink, yellow and green Dragon Fruit. (After the colour of the fruit attracted me, the name was what sold it for me!). I quickly cut off the top and set about scooping out the incredibly white flesh which was speckled with tiny black seeds. I expected a hideous taste, because surely something so good looking could not have a delicious taste, and I was again delighted that it was not vulgar at all.

It has been likened to a kiwi fruit, because of the look and texture I guess, but taste wise the Dragon Fruit is fairly bland, which is a bit of a disappointment, but then again its better that its bland rather than sour, bitter or just plain revolting.

After this delightful experience my mind switched on and I just could not stop it twisting and turning, churning out ideas like a factory. A fairy tale wriggled its way into my thoughts and I felt compelled to get writing. A short walk up to town to find a decent cafe later (to get out of Martin's hair while he revises for his exams) and I was ready.

I found a quiet corner, got out my notebook and wrote.

I think I sat there for a good four hours. I only had one cup of tea, because I didn't want to be distracted by having to go to the toilet. I wonder if the waitresses resented this, because in tidying up a table next to me one of them spilled a large amount of milk on my bag. I barely acknowledged it and just kept on writing. It was as if I was possessed.

I really should have taken Jerry with me to the cafe because my hand kept cramping up, and the way I was sitting I kept my head tilted and ended up with a bit of a sore neck too. But even so, it was worth it for the result.

I didn't actually finish the fairy tale. Only got about half way through it, but I've got the story fully formed in my head. Its just a matter of mashing it out.

I'm not sure whether to keep the writing simple or not though... I think I'm leaning towards full literary wonderfulness (if there is a such a word or concept). I figure its pointless simplifying my words for children... how else will they learn how to read and write better if we are constantly adapting what they read to be simple drivel. Besides, if I publish a fabulous book of fairy tales then perhaps parents around the world will read them to their children at bedtime, and teach them what all the words mean.

Hmm.. I'm having delusions of grandeur now. Published worldwide? Hmm.. I hope so, but I'd better not get carried away. I've first got to finish the story, and then write a handful more.

Perhaps when I finish it I will post an exerpt here on my blog.

I'm thinking I'll title this fairy tale 'The Dragon of Ravenswood'

And I think I'll name the fairy tale book 'Ravenswood Fairytales' or something similar.

(Ravenswood is right near where I grew up in Australia, and funny enough its also the name of the school Martin went to).

So, tomorrow I'm going to go to the Borough Market by London Bridge and see if there are any stalls that are selling Dragon Fruit. I simply MUST have more, but I'm not going to shell out £2 at Tesco for every one.

Here are a few more pics I found. The Dragon Fruit is from a cactus plant and has night-blooming beautiful white flowers.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

The first one I bought went 'off'. This may have been my fault as I refused to cut it open. It was very lovely to look at and I took it in to show the kids I work with.
I have since tasted the melony/kiwi - ish interior and found it best when made into a salade de fruits. Tis a bizarre creation.