Pages

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Quilling


So, I thought I'd do a google search for my blog 'Quilling Time' and I discovered that 'Quilling' is an actual artform and not just the cheeky use of the word 'Quill' (an instrument of writing) made to sound like 'kill'.

See, methinks I was all clever and interesting by making my blog title 'Quilling Time' (meaning 'Killing time with my writing!'), but now I feel all stupid and deflated that my bubble has burst.

Quilling is the art of rolling up strips of paper (not unlike the crap that paper shredders turn out) and then gluing it down onto paper to create cute swirls and stuff.

I remember now when I was 9 years old and living in England for a year with my parents. I was quite arty back then (I still am now, but Time hinders my progress) and my sister and I would often find new and interesting arty things to do. I remember at one point we got into quilling quite a lot and for the next year or so any Christmas/Birthday cards all featured some kind of picture made by quilling.

Its strange that that whole memory of quilling has been absent from my fried brain up until just now. What would have happened had I not googled 'Quilling Time'??? Would I ever have remembered my arty pasttimes of almost twenty years ago??

Holy sh*t. Twenty years ago...

Twenty years ago!!!

Wow man.. I remember thinking how old 10 years old must be! I'll be thirty in a year and a bit! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!

I must get on with the writing. I have to get my synopsis and query letter complete before 31st January and get all the other bits and bobs done on it. I want to start my Cloud People book by mid February and get it written by May.

NOTE: Anyone reading this blog who is actually looking for stuff on the art of Quilling, you're in the wrong place. This is a blog on my moronic pursuit of a writing career. Love, Kate.

2 comments:

Julia Buckley said...

There's only one for you to do now - take up quilling.

I suppose your other option would be to make your book about quilling.

The choice is yours.

Antonella said...

I think you should take up quilling... Of course, I am a bit biased in that I am one of those bloggers that writes about quilling... If you are interested in more information (even free instructions and patterns) check out my Quilling blog

Have a great day!
antonella :-)