Pages

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Who am I?

I think perhaps one of the best things to do when you start a new blog is to put in a post about yourself. That way you can link to it from your side bar and then if anyone stumbles across your page they can find out who and what its about without too much hassle.

Having said that I should stop stalling and creating hassle and just move on...

I am Kate.

I'm 28, and I've wanted to be a writer since I was little.

I've also wanted to be a nun (after watching the Sound of Music for the first time), a circus performer, a pianist, actress, geologist, magician, nurse, teacher, chocolate taster, cinema usher, rich oil tycoon, archaeologist (thanks to Indiana Jones for that one), Egypt historian/librarian (The Mummy), gymnast, olympian (no chance!), medieval princess, ghost, guest on sesame street... ok I'm getting off track..

The point is.. since I was little I've strived towards being a pianist, studying for a Bachelor of Arts degree, and a geologist (after watching Volcano and Dante's Peak!), studying for a Bachelor of Science degree. While I was doing my BA I slipped in a few writing courses and began my -what i like to call - Epic Fantasy Novel. Geology, however, took over and my Epic Novel sat on a low simmer in the back of my mind.

University finished. Geology jobs dried up. And my ambition for anything sank lower and lower until I was sitting at the bottom of a hole. So, armed with two degrees I flipped my entire non-existent career on its head and worked crap jobs (except the jobs working in bookshops!) in order to fund my desire to travel and drag myself out of the career-less hole I had naively fallen into.

2003 I left Australia and set off on my own to the UK where I worked at a pub and thoroughly enjoyed being a lazy bum.

Enter Martin, a whirlwind romance, and some more crap jobs.

Three years later and we are married and I now live in the UK full time where I am still working crap jobs, but the difference is ---> the 'writing bug' has bitten a great big chunk out of my arse and I am now, finally, working towards being a published author.

A friend, from Australia, and I share a website where we have posted some short stories and other stuff. Also, I have started this blog. (Jane has started her own blog too ...well it was her idea first... called SaucierFood).

We have both decided to enter NaNoWriMo for the first time this year (2006), and I am quaking in my boots! I hate to admit it, but I'm a total newbie at writing. Well I have been struggling with my Epic Novel for 8 years now as well as doing short stories and poetry so I'm not a complete dunce, but I haven't completed a novel yet - or submitted anything for publication.

I am determined to scrap the crap jobs and write full time.

So this, my writer's blog - Quilling Time - is a diary of my journey and I hope to be posting news of lucrative publishing deals before I hit the big 3-0! Thats my goal!

Enjoy!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate, well done for starting this. Hope you get as much out out of blogging as I do.
Julia
x

Kate said...

Hi Julia, thanks for the 'well done'. I'm new to blogging, but I'm loving it. Its so cathartic!