Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Words That Stand Out

There have been some random words that have been standing out to me a lot lately.

The first one is 'nubbin', which I have been using to describe the number buttons on my new phone.

The second is 'redolent'... I'm not sure why it popped into my head.

Sam at work bought up the word 'lackadaisical' because she watched Ant & Dec on the weekend doing a spelling thing.

I'm sure there was one more word, but I cant remember it at the moment.

The funny thing is is that when I went to bed last night it was early enough to read (see the latest book I'm reading in my left side bar), and all of those words were used! I can understand 'redolent' popping up, though I know for sure that it hasn't popped up in the book so far until last night. But 'nubbin' and 'lackadaisical'?? These words dont really come up often. In fact I've never seen the word lackadaisical written down ever in my entire life. I only know how to spell it here on my blog because I saw it in the book I was reading.

How strange. I wonder what it means.

Random words often stand out to me. Perhaps I should pay more attention. Perhaps its aliens trying to contact me, or something more boring like my subconscious just trying to get through to me. I prefer to believe its aliens. Cool.

Anyhoo. I'm going to see if I can fit lackadaisical into one of my fairy tales, or one of the books I'm writing.

2 comments:

KeVin K. said...

One word that takes its own time leaving once it's popped into your head:

discombobulated

Use it often -- why should you be the only one stuck with it?

Julia Buckley said...

I know what you mean. Sometimes I reckon words get trendy, 'absolutely' seems to be everywhere at the moment and I'm sure you hardly heard at all about 10 years ago.