Pages

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Thud & Mayhem

It was going so well...

I've got a lot of my book organised in my head (so, really, if its only in my head then its not really a 'book', but I shall call it a book nonetheless and I will feel no shame that not a word has yet been written!), I can almost see the first chapter and can hear how it will sound if read aloud...

Then THUD!

Migraine.

A sleepless Sunday night and a tummy ache (well what can I really expect from eating chips & burgers two nights in a row!) lead me to take Monday off work - which I'm paid hourly at coz I'm a temp - which depressed me even more since if I'm not at work then I'm not earning. The only thing keeping me going through Monday and Tuesday (back at work and dead tired, head dully throbbing) was the waiting waiting waiting to hear the verdict on my interview at Penguin.

Went to the pub Tuesday night and against all good common sense I had three pints of Doom Bar (lovely bitter), and happily trotted home to find an evilly cold and disconnected email in my inbox.

I'd been expecting a phone call from at least one of the girls who interviewed me, but the email was from a strangely named HR employee. The friendly 'thanks' at the beginning was enough to let me know that they'd stupidly passed on hiring me.

Bugger.

Ah well. After 2.5 years, three stints of work experience, and over 60 applications to Penguin I'd say it was about time I was interviewed. Someone once told me that persistence is the key... I suppose I'm being persistent eh. Hehehe. I'm not sure why I've set my sights on Penguin - maybe its because its got a cute name and an even cuter little logo - but since I haven't got any other work-related goals (obviously other than being a writer of fabulous novels) then I figured I may as well set my sights on SOMETHING! It certainly beats the crappy secretary job I'm doing now!

So, until I can get my ideas down onto paper succinctly and get published and make enough money to quit my day job then I may as well keep trying to break into the publishing industry, coz at least I'll be surrounded by books which is definitely not a bad place to be. A damn sight better than working in a shit job in an industry I care so little about it makes me strain my eyes from rolling them so much!

Three more job applications pending for Penguin - but now I have someone's email address in HR, so I'm going to chase them up directly!!!

Mwah ha ha ha haaaa... I shall snag that elusive job - I shall be victorious!!!!

If only I could shake this lingering migraine...

2 comments:

Kelley said...

get better soon. and yes, be persistent. it isn't until they arrest you for stalking that...I'll shut up now. good luck

Michelle H. said...

Even stalkers have chances at success. It's what you call a motivated work ethic in reaching a top spot without using a firearm.