Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Lucid Dreams

I had a dream the other night that was so vivid and so easily controlled that I almost woke up thinking that it had actually happened.

I've been reading Robin Hobb's Tawny Man trilogy, and I am absolutely enchanted by it. Perhaps its the crush I have on the main character or something, but my dream catapulted me into the middle of it and I was able to take myself through the story as I would have it written.

It was so surreal, yet real too. More so were the raging feelings that were swooping through me! There's just something about dreams that are so acutely passionate. It always makes me wonder if we're supposed to be feeling such strong emotions all the time during our waking hours. Perhaps some people do. Perhaps even I do but just dont realise it. I think not, though. Sometimes I feel quite deadened, which is a bit disheartening, but then again I sometimes even lack the disheartening feeling and just feel nothing about it.

Note to self - drink more hot milk before bedtime to induce more dreams like this. (They're brilliant as inspiration for writing... in fact the idea I had to write my first fantasy novel came from a dream!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Life bombards us with stimulus all the time so we tune so much of it out.....in dreams we only experience a limited amount or something like that......